5 Things You Should Know About Your IP Address
A Network Security Expert’s Advice
If you want to maintain your online security while you surf the web, then it is important that you use a VPN app no matter what device you are using to access the internet. Hotspot Shield offers both free and premium options to keep your web surfing secure.
Reasons To Change Your IP Address
There are plenty of reasons to change your IP address. Internet users all over the world are becoming more aware and are in better control of their online security. Here are a few reasons to change your IP address:
- To access content that is banned by geolocation
- To bypass IP bans on chat rooms or forums
- To bypass IP limits on downloads within a certain time period
- To bypass local ISP censorship or government censorship
- To prevent hackers, government actors, or third parties from knowing your location
- Your DHCP lease time given to your IP address has expired
How to change your IP address
Changing your IP address is easier than ever. Follow steps below and see how simple the process is:
- Unplug your modem and router. Since most ISPs use dynamic IP addresses, by unplugging for a period of time you are likely to be assigned a new IP.
- Turn off Wi-Fi. By turning off Wi-Fi, it wouldn’t immediately reconnect to the router when you plug it in again.
- Wait for about 5 minutes. IP addresses can be assigned in as little as 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, plug your router in again. Plug your router back in after waiting for 5 minutes. If you have another device, such as a smartphone, tablet, gaming console, or another computer connected to Wi-Fi, the second device should claim the old IP address.
- Turn Wi-Fi back on. After waiting the 5 minute period and allowing your second device to claim your old IP address, your computer should reconnect with a new IP address.
- Use a VPN. A VPN will ensure that your IP address is changed. You’ll get a new IP address from the VPN servers instead of your current one from your ISP.
Want Use Hotspot Shield To Change Your IP?
You want a reliable VPN provider that you can trust to keep your connection secure while also not slowing down your web browsing experience. Hotspot Shield provides lightning fast internet while hiding your IP and keeping your location data safe from ISPs, government actors, and hackers. Browse the web confidently knowing that your device and your personal data is completely secure.
Download Hotspot Shield now and change your IP address today!
What Can Someone Do With Your IP Address
With your IP address, advertisers and ISPs can get the location of your city, state, and even your ZIP code.
Why Has my IP address changed
Make a note of the IP address—but don't get too attached because most likely, your ISP is called a dynamic IP address, which means it's subject to change on you. (Not that it will, but it can.) If it weren't a dynamic IP address, it would be referred to as a static IP address...unchanging.
Some More Helpful Articles
Unblock Websites at School or Work
Learn how to instantly unblock your favorite sites like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube when you are at school or work.Learn more
Is an IP Address Fixed to One Computer
Many questions arise concerning IP addresses: How do they work? How are they assigned? What is an IP address made of?Learn more
Benefits of VPN
VPNs can be used to unblock websites, protect your private data, secure your Wi-Fi connection, and unblock websites at school or work.Learn more
Unblock YouTube at School & Work
Easily get access to YouTube content privately without being traced at school or your job.Learn more
Will My IP Address Change If I Move?
Our online privacy experts explain how IP addresses are assigned and whether or not your IP address wil change when you move.Learn more
How Does a VPN Work on iPhone
A VPN is a networking service that routes your mobile traffic through a private server to mask your actual locatio.Learn more
Download Hotspot Shield For Free!
Join over 10 million users already accessing blocked websites
and more by downloading Hotspot Shield VPN today.