How to get a Finnish IP address
The easiest way to improve your digital privacy is to switch your IP address using a VPN. We’ll …
According to the National Cyber Security Alliance, June is “Internet Safety Month”. Throughout the month of June, the NCSA encourages Internet users of all ages to “STOP. THINK. CONNECT” when using the Internet.
For all of you parents out there, this is also the perfect month to educate your children about online safety since they are on summer break. It’s important to inform your children on the dangers of sharing personal information when using social media networks and online communication services.
The NCSA provided the following tips to keep your online activities safer and more secure this summer. Make sure to share these tips with your family and friends:
“Online Safety Tips for Internet Safety Month
- Keep a Clean Machine: Keep all Internet connected devices free from infection and malware by keeping all critical software—security software, web browsers, apps and operating systems—up to date.
- Protect Your Personal Information: Secure your accounts by making passwords long, strong and unique.
- Connect with Care: Limit the type of business you conduct using unsecure Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Own Your Online Presence: Set security and privacy settings to your comfort level of sharing.
- When in Doubt, Throw it Out: If an email, social network post or text message looks suspicious, even if you know the source, delete it.
- Be Web Wise: Be wary of communications that implore you to act immediately, offer something that sounds too good to be true, or ask for personal information.
- Be a Good Online Citizen: Post only about others what you would have them post about you.”
One important tip that the NCSA left out is the use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) such as Hotspot Shield while using the Internet.
Hotspot Shield is an essential internet safety tool that not only protects your data from dangerous online threats, but also detects known malware sites along with infected sites, phishing sites and spam sites. By following the tips above along with using Hotspot Shield, you can reduce your risks to various online threats.
So start off Internet Safety Month by downloading Hotspot Shield for your desktop computer (PC/Mac) and mobile (iOS and Android) today!
For more online safety tips, NCSA will be hosting Twitter Chats this month. Click here fore more information.
Priscilla Lopez on Google+