The easiest way to improve your digital privacy is to switch your IP address using a VPN. We’ll …
VPNs are a quick and easy way to step up your online privacy. Unfortunately, some services (like All 4 and BBC iPlayer) try to block VPN users, forcing you to choose between security and convenience. Below, we’ll explain how to stream All 4 with a VPN active so that you can watch all of your favorite shows while keeping your browsing habits private.
How to watch All 4 with a VPN
Streaming All 4 doesn’t have to be difficult. Just follow these five simple steps to get started:
- Begin by choosing a Hotspot Shield Premium or Premium Family plan
- Install our app onto any device you use for streaming
- Log in and click the arrow next to Virtual location
- Select United Kingdom, hover over Streaming, then click Connect
- In a moment, you’ll be connected. Now, you should be able to use All 4 as normal. The biggest difference is that your traffic is encrypted, hiding your online activities from anyone who might be watching.
Choosing the best VPN for live streaming Channel 4
Not every VPN is suitable for streaming. For instance, some only have a handful of servers, making it easy for services like All 4 to identify and blacklist them. Others might have monthly bandwidth limits, slow speeds, or sub-par security offerings. In other words, it pays to carefully consider whether a particular VPN will be able to properly meet your needs.
Hotspot Shield is a particularly strong choice for watching All 4 online. First off, we have special servers that are designed for securely accessing British streaming services. These are clearly-labeled and you can use them as much as you’d like. Not only that, but our service works with other UK-only services like BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and Netflix UK.
Watching Channel 4 online: why speed matters
If your internet connection is too slow, you’ll likely have problems actually watching anything on All 4. You might find that live streams simply won’t load, or that they frequently pause to catch up, causing you to miss portions of the show. There are problems with watching on-demand too, with slow speeds limiting you to very low-resolution video.
Channel 4 doesn’t specifically say how quick your connection has to be. In our experience, though, you’ll usually need around a 5 Mbps download speed to watch live HD video without any issues. To stream 4K video, you’ll need roughly 25 Mbps, so the faster your connection, the better.
Speed is actually one of our biggest strengths. Hotspot Shield’s custom Hydra protocol has been proven to deliver speeds of up to 2.2x its nearest rival. What’s more, it’s significantly faster than OpenVPN, even over long distances. Finally, while VPNs usually slow your connection to some degree, experts from Speedtest.net have previously found that their speeds actually increased by 26 percent when using Hotspot Shield.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will a VPN let me safely stream All 4 on-the-go?
Yes – a VPN will encrypt all traffic from your device so your activities remain hidden no matter whether you’re on mobile or desktop. Hotspot Shield works flawlessly with All 4 and has apps for a huge range of mobile platforms including Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and Raspberry Pi.
Why doesn’t my VPN work with All 4?
If you’re having problems streaming All 4 while connected to a VPN, don’t panic. Here are some of the potential causes:
- Your chosen server is outside of the UK
- You aren’t using one of the specially-configured streaming servers
- All 4 has blacklisted the server you’re using
- All 4 is still relying on old location data
- All 4 is using location services to cross-reference your location
- The VPN requires an update
- You aren’t using the stealth mode or anti-censorship protocol
It’s not always easy to tell which specific thing is causing problems. Luckily, if you follow the steps below, you can resolve most issues without too much trouble:
- Clear your browser’s cookies (or delete All 4’s saved data if you’re on mobile)
- Connect to one of our British streaming servers
- Turn off GPS and location services, then make sure your VPN app is up-to-date
- Go into the settings and check that you’re using the Hydra protocol
- Try watching something on ITV again. If videos still won’t play, repeat these steps with a different British server or get in touch with our support team for one-on-one assistance
What else can a VPN do for me?
VPNs are great for securely accessing your favorite services, but they have several other uses too. For instance, you may have noticed that some websites are unavailable on public wifi. Our powerful encryption prevents the hotspot owner from being able to tell if you’re trying to visit a site that’s been blacklisted, meaning you can access whatever you like, no matter the network.
Did you know that some Internet Service Providers reduce your connection speed when they detect you’re streaming or torrenting? This is another situation where a VPN’s encryption can really help you out. With no idea what you’re up to, it’s much less likely that your ISP will throttle your connection.
Online threats are constantly evolving, and it’s hard to stay vigilant 24/7. However, some services (including Hotspot Shield) have taken on some of the burden by introducing anti-malware and phishing detection tools. This allows you to worry less about cyberattacks and focus more on streaming All 4 classics like Taskmaster, Made in Chelsea, or Gogglebox.