The easiest way to improve your digital privacy is to switch your IP address using a VPN. We’ll …
Nobody likes seeing online ads while browsing; we can all agree that they are one of the most annoying aspects of the internet. They can also interfere with your productivity when they pop up on your screen while you’re working. However, the good news is that, with the right tools and know-how, you can block online ads once and for all. Here’s how.
Use specific browser extensions
Whether you browse on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or Safari, there are a lot of extensions you can download which are designed to block online ads. Most of them are either free of charge or require only a minimal upfront fee.
If you’re a fan of Chrome or Firefox, you can use AdBlock Plus. If you like to surf using Opera or Safari, check out AdBlock or AdBlocker Ultimate. No matter what browser you fancy, there will surely be an ad blocking extension that you find suitable.
Install anti-virus software with adblocking capabilities
Nowadays, antivirus programs are no longer just basic virus protection. They now have a wide range of protocols to defend you against malware, spyware, phishing, and of course, online ads.
One of the best antivirus and ad blocking software you can get in one package is Adaware. The program offers security from online ads and a variety of other online threats, and their flagship product has three versions: Adaware Free, Adaware Antivirus Pro, and Adaware Antivirus Total.
Change your browser settings
Don’t want to go through the trouble of downloading additional software to block online ads? You can try to change the default settings on whatever browser you most frequently use.
- Google Chrome
- Open the browser
- Click on the menu button in the upper-right corner, beside the address bar
- Click on Settings, then click Advanced
- In the section named Privacy or Privacy and Security (depending on your OS), click on Content settings
- Click on the section labeled Popups.
- Adjust settings so that it blocks popups.
- Mozilla Firefox
- Open the browser
- Click on the menu button on the upper-right corner of your browser, beside the address bar.
- Click on Options or Preferences (depending on your OS)
- Click on Content.
- Tick the box that says Block popup windows.
- Click on Safari on the menu bar of your screen.
- Click on Preferences.
- Click on the Privacy tab.
- On Cookies and website data, tick on Always block.
Take note that simply changing the settings on your browser will not be as effective at blocking online ads as downloading software designed for that specific purpose. And while it can’t technically block ads altogether, a VPN like Hotspot Shield is a great tool to help you avoid targeted ads. With Hotspot Shield, your internet activity is not visible to anyone—including websites—which means they can’t track your information and use it to bombard you with those pesky targeted ads that follow you around the web.