We’re excited to inform you that Hotspot Shield is now part of Aura—a technology company on a mission …
One of the issues I’m passionate about, as an online-security analyst, is that of banking safely online. As such, I recommend the following simple tips to help ensure your security in cyberspace when doing online banking.
- Wired ethernet link. This offers more security than does a powerline or Wi-Fi network. In fact, the powerline carries your data via electrical wires—not secure at all. Data from wires can leak into adjacent homes, and Wi-Fi signals are out in the open, literally. An ethernet attack, however, may require a home break-in by the crook, and then he has to set up his device.
- Nevertheless, powerline and Wi-Fi do come with encryption capabilities; encryption scrambles data for safer online banking. Any attacker would need your password to infiltrate. But remember this: Wi-Fi’s WEP, which is obsolete, can be hacked into, even though it’s still offered as an option for router setup.
- Do not leave a router on its default password. Otherwise, crooks can get in and redirect your traffic to who knows where.
- Never trust third-party Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Make sure that the financial site you visit has a padlock icon and “https” before the URL address; this means it’s secure and legitimate. “Http” (no “s”) is not secure.
- Keep up to date on security updates for your browser and operating system. This will protect against a crook who uses a keylogger to track your keystrokes. With a keylogger, a hacker can get your keystroke pattern and will figure out your passwords.
- Never click on links in e-mails. Even if it’s supposedly from your bank. Never.
- To really beef up online banking security, use a separate computer just for online banking.
- Enable your financial institution’s two-step verification. This is typing in a password that’s one-time, that gets texted to you. Unfortunately, many banks don’t have this tactic. But if you’re concerned with banking safely on the Internet, see if your institution does. If you can’t find this information on their web site, call them.
- One more simple tip about safe online banking: Hotspot Shield VPN service guards your entire online experience when you’re using unprotected networks, such as at coffee houses, hotels, airports, etc., be they wired or wireless.
You can have peace of mind that your web sessions (downloads, filling out forms, shopping, banking) are safe and secure with the https-protected tool. With Hotspot Shield, all mobile data is encrypted. Hotspot Shield also has a mobile version, and it compresses bandwidth so that you can download nearly double the content at the same cost. This VPN service has saved 102.9 million megabytes.