How Do I Change My IP Address?
A Network Security Expert's Advice
If you want to maintain your online security while you surf the Web, then it's important to use a VPN regardless of the device you're using to access the Internet. Hotspot Shield offers both free and premium options to keep your Web surfing activities private and secure.
Reasons To Change Your IP Address
There are plenty of reasons to change your IP address, and as Internet users throughout the world are becoming better-informed and are in more control of their online security, more people are choosing to do so. Here are a few reasons to change your IP address:
- To access content blocked by regional restrictions
- To bypass IP bans on chat rooms or forums
- To bypass IP limits on downloads within a certain period
- To bypass local ISP censorship or government censorship
- To prevent hackers, governments, or others from discovering your location
- The DHCP lease time given to your IP address has expired
How to Change Your IP Address Manually
Follow these steps to force your ISP to change the IP address on your device:
- Unplug Your Modem and Router. Most ISPs use dynamic IP addresses, so when you unplug your router for a period of time, you are likely to be assigned a new IP address.
- Turn Off the Wi-Fi on Your Device. When you turn off the Wi-Fi, it won't be able to immediately reconnect to the router once it's plugged back in.
- Wait for About Five Minutes. Give the ISP time to realize that you've now stopped using your old IP address.
- After Five Minutes, Plug in Your Modem and Router Again. If you have another device connected to Wi-Fi, such as a smartphone, tablet, gaming console, or another computer, it should claim your old IP address. Wait a few minutes to make sure that this happens.
- Turn Your Device's Wi-Fi Back On. After you allow your second device to claim your old IP address, your computer should reconnect with a new IP address. Note, though, that this won't conceal your location, as the new IP address will be from the same ISP.
Can Any IP Address Be Changed?
It's likely that your ISP has given you a dynamic IP address, which means that it can change. Though it's not guaranteed that your ISP will change a computer IP address, it can be done. If you have a dynamic address and know how to change the IP address on your computer, you'll likely be able to force it to change if you want it to. But if your ISP assigns static addresses, then it will not change the IP address of your device.
Use Hotspot Shield as Your IP Address-Changer
A more foolproof method for how to change the IP address of your device is to use a VPN. With a VPN, you'll be assigned a new IP address from the VPN's servers in place of the one assigned by your ISP, so your location will be totally hidden.
It's important, though, to make sure that you're using a reliable VPN provider that you can trust to keep your connection secure while giving you a fast Web browsing experience. At Hotspot Shield, we provide lightning-fast Internet access while hiding your IP address. This keeps your location data safe from ISPs, government actors, and hackers. Browse the Web confidently knowing you have strong protection for your device and personal data. Download Hotspot Shield now and change your IP address today!
What Can Someone Do With Your IP Address?
With your IP address, advertisers and ISPs can pinpoint your city, state, and even ZIP code. They can also follow you around online, tracking your activity and forming a profile of you based on the sites you visit and even the people you email. But when you use our VPN to hide your IP address, anyone who tries to spy on you will only be able to see that you connected with Hotspot Shield's servers; beyond that, all of your tracks will be concealed.
Download Hotspot Shield. It’s free!
Keep your web surfing experience private, avoid surveillance or hacking attempts, and keep your devices protected.
Some More Helpful Articles
Unblock Websites at School or Work
Learn how to instantly unblock your favorite sites like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube when you are at school or work.Learn more
Is an IP Address Fixed to One Computer
Many questions arise concerning IP addresses: How do they work? How are they assigned? What is an IP address made of?Learn more
Benefits of VPN
VPNs can be used to unblock websites, protect your private data, secure your Wi-Fi connection, and unblock websites at school or work.Learn more
Unblock YouTube at School & Work
Easily get access to YouTube content privately without being traced at school or your job.Learn more
Will My IP Address Change If I Move?
Our online privacy experts explain how IP addresses are assigned and whether or not your IP address wil change when you move.Learn more
How Does a VPN Work on iPhone
A VPN is a networking service that routes your mobile traffic through a private server to mask your actual locatio.Learn more
Download Hotspot Shield For Free!
Join over 500 million users already accessing blocked websites
and more by downloading Hotspot Shield VPN today.